Friday, May 30, 2008

Utah Lake Bonefish


So I've been following a bunch of white bass around Utah Lake the past couple of days. Fishing has been pretty good and the white bass are willing to take my flies.
Anyway, I woke up early this morning and figured I might as well go harass some more of them since I didn't have to work. The water was calm and I got into a few little guys right off the bat. After that, it slowed down a bit and I switched to a different colored fly. After a few casts, as I was stripping in the fly and felt a solid stop in the line. I figured I was hung up on the bottom until the line started to peel off the reel and head to deeper water. I thought for sure it was a nasty carp, but kept up the battle anyway. After something like 10 minutes, I'm not making any headway on the sucker and figured I had corn-holed him. My arms are getting tired and finally the fish starts to give up. As I end up getting it closer to shore, I realize the fish is HUGE and it's not a carp. It's a catfish. My accurate catfish weight estimating skills put the fish at a solid 7 or 8 pounds easy. And as luck would have it, I beached him and readied the photo, only to have it flop back in the water and break the fly off. Adios catfish dinner!
I figured that was a one-time deal, but a few casts later, I hooked into a smaller catfish and lost him just as he was making it to shore. The same fly then drummed up two carp as well, so all-in-all I caught a bunch of big fish today. Mixed in with the white bass, it wasn't a bad day after all.
Viva, Utah Bonefish!

1 comment:

Scott Dickey said...

Very nice! Catfish on a fly... that is cool. Can't say I have done that. What fly were you using if you don't mind me asking?