Thursday, May 7, 2009

May Day Bass

We finally headed down to Utah's Dixie for a few days of spring bass fishing. With Brian's 21 foot "moving shoreline", it was another great trip. Day #1, started out with the feesh holding a little deeper. I kept to the fly gear and managed only a couple of touches early-on. Cheech and Brian were tearing it up on the plastics, so I switched over to the spinning outfit and got a couple on shaky heads with hula grubs and a robo-worm.

By mid-morning, the dragon-flies started to get amorous and the bass started to take notice. I switched back to the fly rod and poked a few on the dragon-fly.
From Bass Patterns

The hatch wasn't as strong as it was last year, but it was still fun to get into the top-water action.

The next day was fun as we got into some fish in the bushes shallow. I was able to have some fun with the "Zonko" weedless fly...
From Bass Patterns

And the fish liked it...
From Bass'n


From Bass'n


They also liked clousers along the rocky shores in shallower water.
From Bass'n


Finally, towards the end of the day, I was fine-tuning my finesse drop-shot techniques (first time ever trying it) and landed this guy:
From Bass'n


All in all, it was a great trip with some detours to In 'N Out to boot. I ended up catching more fish on my fly gear than with spinning gear, but it was fun picking up some new techniques when the fly rod isn't as effective reaching the fish. I think I'm starting to get over the fact that you can use something other than a fly rod to catch a fish. I think it just boils down to what you like and what works best. Bass are wicked fun to hunt!!

2 comments:

mike doughty said...

well done curtis

Unknown said...

Show me on the doll where the Cheechman touched you.